Monday, May 16, 2011

Reading Reflection 03

I found the book Cradle to Cradle to be fairly interesting and had many good ideas but mostly I just wanted to take it in the shower to see if I really could get it wet like it claims but never did because I didn't wanna ruin it. This book so far has made many good arguments about design and protecting the environment for the future. One of my favorite concepts he talks about is "upcycling." Unlike recycling which can one be done two or three times to a product this could be done as many times as you please because it would isolate the quality materials.
Another thing that is discussed in the book is the negatives of the industrial revolution, this was weird to me because it is usually portrayed as a great time of our country. I still believe it was a great time of the country after reading this but now realize we could have done a lot better of a job. I liked how he described the old way of design as the "strategy of tragedy" and that we need to embrace a "strategy of change." 
Something else that I learned from the book was that there are many harmful products in our industry today. A few examples of these are Indigo dye, plastic water bottles, and polyester shirts. It seems to me like we could fix some of  the harmful things like plastic water bottles though by just not making them plastic any more.
Over all these six chapters showed me that many products can be redesigned and should be redesigned to help the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment